Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tailoring: Black Dress

This is the first of a three part series documenting three pieces that I had tailored. They will be scheduled while I am away in Florida visiting Katie. I will write some fun Florida-themed posts when I return.

I honestly can't believe that it took me so long to seek out some professional help. Believe me, I will be leaving my major alterations to the pros from now on, but I will still take care of the minor ones myself.


You may recognize this black dress from my previous post, In Memory. Well, I finally followed through and took it to a tailor, who shortened it and took in the sides. When he first saw how it fit, he said, "hmm...a little bit too grandma." He speaks Italian and has a sense of humor.

After the tailor did his magic, I found that rather than hanging from my shoulders, it is now body skimming, but not too tight. I think the shorter length suits my height better as well. So after 10 years, this classic black dress has found new life. What do you think?


Here is the before and after:



Here is a shot of the little tailor shop. Look at the old sewing machines and iron! Plus, as I mentioned before, he speaks Italian, so I can practice. It is so quaint and he did a great job, so I will be going back.
                                                        

Here is my 'I'm so happy that I found a good tailor' shot.

Dress: Ann Taylor (tailored)
Necklace: Target
Shoes: Ann Taylor Factory Store

Have you ever had anything tailored?

3 comments:

  1. yup..used to do this professionally..had a business too! But now, I would rather make an outfit from scratch than to take to tailoring again!Only do it for myself, family.. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much better after alterations! It's amazing what a little nip/tuck can do for a garment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the dress looks beautiful! i love how it's fit to your body now. :-)

    ReplyDelete