Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Health and Fashion

Adding an accessory or wearing make up is an easy way to improve your style. You don't have to be outrageous in order to make a big impact with your style. In a similar way, it is easy to make smart health choices that will have positive long term effects on your health.

As Americans we've been trained (by marketing companies and our society) to crave condiments rather than crave actual food. Usually we say to ourselves "I just need something salty" or "I'm craving something sweet." We've forgotten about the value of eating real food (food without antibiotics,pesticides, high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, and all the other ingredients on labels that you can't recognize).

I recently bought a canister of almonds thinking that I was making a healthy choice. After looking through the ingredients list (which was about 15 ingredients) I discovered that it had the dreaded ingredient Mono sodium Glutamate aka MSG. Gross!!! Why do almonds need MSG? The only ingredient necessary in a canister of almonds is: Almonds.

We've become too busy as a society to eat healthy. We eat out too much because it is convenient and then we ask ourselves in 20 years why we are suffering from cancers, cardiac conditions, and digestive problems. The reason our bodies are breaking down and aging poorly is because our bodies were not designed to digest and absorb nutrients from chemicals. High fructose corn syrup is produced from a genetically modified corn. We really don't know what the long term effects will be of consuming this sugar alternative. I'm not recommending a diet or to deprive yourself but rather to indulge in REAL food.

So what can you do?

Get educated.
By learning about these products you are consuming you will get the motivation to eat healthier.
Look at food labels; know what is in your food.

Here are a few movies and books that I highly recommend to get you started:

1. Processed People- Movie Trailer
2. Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead- Movie Trailer
3. Food, Inc.- Movie Trailer
4. Food Matters- Movie Trailer
5. The Hundred Year Lie- Book Info about the book
6. The Maker's Diet- Book Info about the book

Transition to a Healthier Lifestyle
Evaluate the way that you eat and see where you can add more veggies to your diet. Try to make fruits and veggies at least 50% of what you consume.

Exercise
If you work at a desk, like I do, it's challenging to find time or motivation to exercise. Find an activity you enjoy and can do with friends. I play Tennis once a week with my co-workers and it's enjoyable and it helps keep me from having a sedentary life. Another easy idea is to take a walk as soon as you finish eating dinner. This will get your blood flowing and you will feel better.

Here are a few things that I've made recently.
 Again, I'm not deprived, I'm just choosing to eat REAL food.

First up: Roast Chicken and Potatoes.
There was no salt or oil used making this :)



Momma Mac's Chicken Salad
Get the Recipe here


These ingredients + 2C White wine vinegar = the best Italian dressing ever!


Tomatoes from our garden. We throw them into a ton of recipes :).


Delicious Veggie Burger!
The least healthy part was the condiment (Ranch)



I hope you feel inspired to take your health into your own hands.

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I love your FRB, by the way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sister! Of course you know that I love this post :) I'm trying that Italian dressing, PRONTO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of you when I wrote the post. I'm not ready (or willing) to be a vegetarian at this point, but I can certainly make more responsible healhty choices.

    I'll send you the official recipe sometime this week for the Italian dressing. It's so versitile too, you can merinate chicken (or tofu) in it, use it as a dressing, and it can almost double for Gazpacho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FRB = Fruit Rotting Bowl - what family did you grow up in???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad, I am so glad that you read our blog. Who else would translate our family lore?

    ReplyDelete