Saturday, October 01, 2011

Butterfly on a Subway

A few weeks ago, Luke and I went out with my friend, Adair, so that she could show me the ropes of department store shopping at Nordstrom's. As we passed the kids section, I saw a giant jar of little dinosaur toys which seemed to be complementary, and thought Luke would love one. But just to make sure, I walked over to the register to ask, and as I passed a table full of hats, I realized an amazing thing: One-size-fits-all hats for girls are just about the right size for me! I ended up buying two: one for summer (on clearance), and one for fall, as you will see in the following pictures. And yes, Luke got his dinosaur, but sadly, he lost it before we left the store.


Here is what I came up with:






This straw hat is fabulous for the beach. While I was pregnant with Luke, I noticed that when my face got too much sun, blotches started to appear. I am not sure if that is the case now, but I would rather be safe than sorry on this one. 

Here are 2 things that I have learned about hats since starting to wear mine:

1. Wide brimmed hats catch the wind like sails - be ready at all times to snatch it out of the air as it flies off your head.

2. When holding a baby, his head will hit pretty much exactly where the brim is. He may or may not constantly try to grab it off your head.

P.S. In case you are wondering, the bathing suit is from Land's End from a few years back.




Here is hat #2:


A wool hat is a great way to spice up fall outfits. I have seen several other bloggers wearing them, particularly Lindsey Calla at Saucy Glossie. I am so excited to have found one that fits!
I hope I have the guts to wear this beauty all season. It is a lovely hat. 
More on Tuesday, when I post on the whole outfit.


Do you remember this line given by Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail? I couldn't stop thinking about it at Macy's.



"Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one. It got on at 42nd, and off at 59th, where, I assume it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake - as almost all hats are.”







I have to admit that I am a little afraid to wear my new hats in public. I have always wished that hats would become stylish again, and finally they are, yet for some reason, I feel kind of goofy wearing them, as though I am on my way to a costume party. Previously, I had hardly had the opportunity to wear one, since they always fit more like buckets and squashed my ears down, but now that I have found and purchased hats that fit, I am hesitant to actually put them on my head in public. I think the best way to embrace this new trend and my hat purchases is simply to force myself to wear them, and eventually, I will feel more at home in them...won't I?




Was Meg Ryan right? Is it usually a mistake to buy hats?

How do you wear them, if at all?  

No comments:

Post a Comment